Gerald Mark Barron, MPH
Room: A733 Crabtree Hall
Education: Bachelor of Arts in Biology, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York
Master of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health,Pittsburgh, PA
Acting Director, Center for Public Health Practice; Associate Professor and Director MPH Program, Health Policy and Management; Associate Professor, Behavioral and Community Health Sciences; Deputy Director, Center for Public Health Practice; Associate Dean for Public Health Practice
Personal Statement My research focus is on public health practice and involves describing and evaluating programs/initiatives to promote community health; management and administrative methods for achieving more effective and more efficient methods of operation; and to present effective approaches to issues of practice.
Mr. Barron has over 40 years of experience in public health. He received his Master of Public Health degree from the University of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Public Health and holds a faculty position here as Associate Professor of Health Policy and Management as well as being the Department's MPH Program Director. He is also the Deputy Director of the Center for Public Health Practice. Previous to his current position he was Deputy Director for Operations of the Allegheny County Health Department. Mr. Barron is also Director of the Pennsylvania Preparedness Leadership Institute, a program of the Center for Public Health Practice and is a site visitor for the Public Health Accreditation Board. He has experience as an international public health consultant.
He assisted in the development of a community-based family practice system of healthcare for the residents of Astana, Kazakhstan in cooperation with Mercy Hospital's International Health Program. He also was an environmental health consultant for a project for safe disposal of hazardous waste in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and environmental health officials in Katowice, Poland. He is a graduate of the National Public Health Leadership Institute and a Past President of the Pennsylvania Public Health Association and the Pennsylvania Environmental Health Association, as well as a member of many community advisory boards.
Teaching: PUBHLT 2014 - Public Health Overview; HPM 2081 - Public Health Agency Management
- Treasurer and Member, Board of Directors, Southwestern Pennsylvania Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
- Board of Directors, Hospital Council of Western Pennsylvania
- Advisory Board, Emed Health, University of Pittsburgh
- Member, Foundation to Advance Public Health through Certification
- Member, Pitt Public Health Policy Committee
- Member , Pitt Public Health Core Curriculum Committee
- President, Faculty Senate Executive Committee
- Member, Public Health Leadership Society
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Public Health Association
Health Related Community Service Activities:
- Chair, Pennsylvania Environmental Health Directors (1989-1990)
- Environmental Health Consultant- Project for safe disposal of hazardous waste in cooperation with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and environmental health officials in Katowice, Poland (1991-1993)
- Public Health Consultant.- Development of a community-based family practice system of healthcare for the residents of Astana, Kazakhstan in cooperation with Mercy Hospital's International Health Program, American International Health Alliance, and elected officials and healthcare providers in Astana, Kazakhstan (2000-2003)
- Community Advisory Board, UPMC Health Plan (2002-2005)
- Chair, Board of Directors, Southwestern Pennsylvania Area Health Education Center (AHEC) (2002-2008)
- Board of Directors, Consumer Health Coalition (2009)
Marx J, Barron G , Ricci E, Keane C. The Perceived Impact of Privatization on Local Health Departments. American Journal of Public Health. 2002 July; 92 (7): 1178-1180
Potter MA, Barron G , Cioffi JP. A model for public health workforce development using the National Public Health Performance Standards Program. Journal of public health management and practice : JPHMP. 2003; 9 (3):199-207. PMID: 12747316.
Glad JA, Kotchian SB, Barron G . Developing a local comprehensive environment and health tracking system: using what we know to improve health and the environment. Journal of environmental health. 2004 Jun; 66 (10):9-14, 28. PMID: 15216563.
Potter MA, Burns HK, Barron G , Grofebert A, Bednarz GD. Cross-sector leadership development for preparedness. Public health reports (Washington, D.C. : 1974). 2005; 120:109-15. PMCID: PMC2569977. PMID: 16025714.
Barron G , Glad J, Vukotich C. The use of the National Public Health Performance Standards to evaluate change in capacity to carry out the 10 essential services. Journal of Environmental Health. PMID: 17802813.
George Huber, Barron G , Linda Duchak, Martin Raniowski, Hazem Alsahlani, Margaret Potter. State Procurement Law: Facilitating the Collaboration between Health Department and School of Public Health. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice Volume 20, Number 3, May/June 2014